Contact us at:


64 Bruce St, Thornbury
Mondays 9:30-12:30
Wednesdays 12:30-3:30

519-599-2577 X29

Printer Friendly Page

Housing Options :: Independent Living :: Financial Concerns

Financial Concerns

Grey County Programs

Rent Geared to Income Housing (RGI)
Social Housing Printable Application Form
All units are subsidized, rent geared-to-income housing units. Approximately 80% of the units house senior citizens, couples or single residents, and 20% house families.

Grey County Home Ownership 

Homeownership Program Information Sheet
Homeownership Purchaser Application
This program is designed to provide renters with a loan, up to 5% of the purchase price, to assist them in purchasing their own home. The program assists eligible renters in the purchase of a home that does not exceed the purchase price of $219,000. Applicants must be eligible for a mortgage and have a maximum household income of $66,200. 

Grey County Sustainable Housing Benefit

Application .pdf
Sustainable Housing Benefit provides assistance to Grey County residents with costs to establish or maintain an affordable residence. For eligibility go to the website.

Grey County Rent Supplement 

All funds for the Rent Supplement Program have been exhausted. For more information please contact Grey Housing at 519-376-5744 to see if you can be on a waiting list.

Ontario Taxes

ON Senior Homeowners Property Tax Grant (OSHPTG)

OSHPTG is intended to help offset property taxes for seniors who own their own home and who have low to moderate incomes. This program is funded entirely by the Province of Ontario.

Healthy Homes Renovation Tax Credit
As a senior 65 years or older in Ontario, you could qualify for a tax credit to help with the cost of making your home safer and more accessible. Not all renovation work qualifies for this tax credit. Before you start any improvements, check to see that the work qualifies so you can claim the expense.

The Veterans Independence Program (VIP)
Toll-free: 1-866-522-2122 or by TTY at 1-800-465-7735
Clarksburg Legion 519-599-3555   Wednesday 3 p.m. - Saturday 7 p.m.

V.I.P.  is a national home care program provided by Veterans Affairs Canada to help veterans remain healthy and independent in their own homes or communities. For assistance with specific services such as  grounds maintenance, housekeeping, and  care it is recommended that an appointment be made with a member of the Beaver Valley Legion, Clarksburg Executive:  Joyce Adams, 519-538-2518 or Brenda Harris, Poppy Chair, 519-599-2411. A provincial Service Representatives makes periodic visits to the Legion as well to assist with questions, concerns, needs regarding pensions, allowances, treatment, etc.  VIP does not replace other federal, provincial or municipal programs. Instead it complements these programs when necessary, to best meet the needs of clients.The veteran is required to pass a means test - determining whether s/he qualifies for a financial assistance program – by proving income eligibility, (i.e. have a low income as defined by the program) for most services. 

Legal Assistance

Grey-Bruce Community Legal Clinic
945 3rd Avenue East, Suite 2, Owen Sound, ON N4K 2K8

Provides free legal information, advice and representation, as well as other services, to low income residents of Grey and Bruce Counties. The Clinic is a non-profit corporation staffed by lawyers, community legal workers and administrative staff and directed by a volunteer Board of Directors drawn from the community.

Community Legal Education of Ontario - CLEO
CLEO produces clear, accurate and practical legal information to help people understand and exercise their legal rights. Its work focuses on providing information to people who face barriers to accessing the justice system, including income, disability, literacy, and language. It is part of Ontario's legal aid system, and works in partnership with other legal clinics and community organizations across the province. Areas of law covered include: Abuse and Family Violence; Consumer Law; Criminal Law; Employment and Work; Family Law; Health and Disability; Housing Law; Immigration and Refugee; Legal System; Social Assistance and Pension.    Information is available in many formats, video, audio, pdf etc. and in several languages.

Law Society of Upper Canada
The Law Society Referral Service (LSRS), (known for the past 40 years as the Lawyer Referral Service), fills an important community need by connecting lawyers and people looking for assistance with a legal matter. In response to growing public demand, the Law Society has expanded its referral service to include paralegals as well as lawyers.  When you call the LSRS, they will provide you with the name of a lawyer or licensed paralegal who will provide a free consultation of up to 30 minutes to help you determine your rights and options.  Access the service by calling or by accessing our on-line request form.

Landlord and Tenant Board