Contact us at:


64 Bruce St, Thornbury
Mondays 9:30-12:30
Wednesdays 12:30-3:30

519-599-2577 X29

Printer Friendly Page

Health Services :: Home Care

Home Care

In Ontario publicly funded home-care services are obtained through the Community Care Access Centres; they are free of cost for eligible individuals.   CCACs operate under the auspices of the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. CCAC employees assess the needs and resources of individuals and contract with community organizations such as Red Cross and V.O.N. and sometimes private businesses, to provide services. The community organizations (e.g. Red Cross) also provide services directly with fees being based on an individual’s resources and skill levels of the care-givers.  They are generally non-profit and community-based, with boards of directors responsible for the operation and accountability of the agency.  They may have specific criteria for eligibility for their services.  There are also many new businesses providing home care services.  Some are sole proprietorships, others are franchises and they are not regulated differently from any other businesses.  Fees for service are generally hourly with many having a minimum number of hours and rates charged depend on the service being provided.  

Careful selection of a caregiver coming into your home is very important. The following questions may be useful in selecting a caregiver organization or business:  

  • Are your services eligible for funding by Veterans Affairs Canada and by private insurers?
  • How long has the company been in operation and are you accredited by a national or provincial organization? 
  • How do you train your home care personnel? 
  • Do you have criminal reference checks for all employees? 
  • Do they have specialized training such as Personal Service Worker certificates? 
  • extra training for certain situations such as treating injuries or assisting dementia patients?
  • What references do your home care personnel have?  Are they insured?
  • Do they have CPR and First Aid training?
  • What services do you provide? What are the fees and hours of operations? 
  • Is there a minimum charge?
  • Can I get help on holidays or weekends?   Will I get the same worker at each visit?
  • Who do I call in case of emergency, even after hours? 

Community Care Access Centre (C.C.A.C.)
Residents of Blue Mountains: Clearview, Collingwood, Grey-Highlands, Wasaga Beach
Phone: 705-721-801 Toll-free: 1-888-721-2222 - 15 Sperling Drive, Ste. 100, Barrie       

Residents of Blue Mountains : Thornbury, Clarksburg  
Phone: 519-371-2112  Toll-Free: 1-888-371-2112 - 255 18th Street West, Owen Sound 

The CCACs were established by Ontario’s Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to help the public access community services, government-funded homes and long-term care homes.  These are agencies that provide information about care options in your area.  CCAC can help you remain in your current home or move to a different living situation. Contact 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. - 365 days a year. Your local CCAC can help you in many ways including:

  • Identifying your care needs & explore the options best suited to your situation and preferences
  • Determining your eligibility for government-funded services 
  • Gather information about home & community supports or residential care
  • Arrange for you to use government funded community and home support services or apply for admission to a long-term care home.
  • When you contact your local CCAC, you will be introduced to a Client Care Coordinator who works to make sure you have access to the care and services you need:
  • Talk with you about your needs, and answer questions about what CCACs can provide and what’s available in your community 
  • Conduct a health care assessment 
  • Develop a personalized plan that meets your specific needs 
  • Check in regularly with you and adjust your plan if your needs change   

V.O.N. (Victoria Order of Nurses)
VON Grey Bruce
Covers The Area West Of Collingwood, South To Dundalk, East To Pointe Clark And North To Tobermory.
Phone: (519) 376-5895 - 1280 20th Street East, Owen Sound
VON Simcoe 
Covers Simcoe County Including Collingwood, Wasaga, & Town Of Blue Mountains:  
Phone: (705) 737-5044  - 14 Cedar Point Drive, Barrie

VON offers more than 75 different home care, personal support and community services that people need to be comfortable in their own homes.  The range of services may vary slightly by region of the province but generally includes: nursing and professional programs and services, community supports, such as day-away programs for Alzheimer’s patients and support and respite for caregivers, palliative care and occupational health services as well as volunteer services.   There are fees for some services which take into account the patients’ resources. 

Red Cross Homecare Services
Phone: 519-376-5373
1139 2nd Avenue East, Owen Sound
Simcoe County
Phone: 705-721-4547
4 Checkley Street, Suite 201, Barrie

Homecare and personal support services are provided by trained staff (Personal Support and Community Support Workers) who will come to your residence to provide in-home care. This can include assistance with bathing, home management, medication reminders, specialized activities provided by a nurse or therapist) or respite care.  Support from a Community Health Services Supervisor is provided to clients and staff, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Access through your local C.C.A.C., your local Red Cross office or programs such as Veterans’ Affairs Canada.

Home & Community Support Services Grey Bruce 
519-372-2091 or 1-800-267-3798
St. Francis Place, Suite 104, 340 10th St. East, Owen Sound

Provides support services to assist eligible seniors and physically challenged adults to maintain independence. It operates throughout Grey/Bruce, including Thornbury-Clarksburg and the city of Owen Sound. Professional staff and volunteers provide services such as transportation, housekeeping, Meals-on-Wheels and day-away programs to give respite to Alzheimer’s patients and their caregivers.  It’s a non-profit organization with modest fees for some services and others have no fees. 

Private  Businesses

There are also many new businesses providing home care services. Some are sole proprietorships, others are franchises and they are not regulated differently from any other businesses.  Fees for service are generally hourly with many having a minimum number of hours and rates charged depend on the service being provided.